1. Am I eligible for WISE-SOE International Master’s Program admission if I do not speak Chinese?
Yes. All our programs are 2-year full-time study programs conducted in English. Students are not required to possess Chinese language abilities to enroll.
2. Am I eligible to apply for WISE-SOE International Master’s Program admission if my bachelor’s study is not in the field of economics?
Among our programs, Western Economics - Economic Theory is more academically oriented and requires stronger prerequisite economics training. However, all other courses only require an undergraduate bachelor degree. As such, the first semester of coursework assumes students have no familiarity with economics
3. May I apply to more than one program?
Students can list two choices when making the online application according to their preferences. The second choice will be considered if the first choice has been rejected.
4. Is it possible for me to enroll in the spring semester?
No. Xiamen University only enrolls new degree students in every fall semester (normally in mid September).
5. What does it mean by “applicants are eligible for scholarship assessment only after they are admitted to the master's program of Xiamen University”?
An application for scholarship is only considered after an applicant is admitted by Xiamen University. Prospective students who would like apply for scholarship(s) (e.g. Chinese Government Scholarship (University Postgraduate Program), Fujian Provincial Government Scholarship or Xiamen University Scholarship for New Students) should send the scholarship application materials together with the program application materials to the Xiamen University Admissions Office by the indicated deadline.
6. If I am a native English speaker or I was taught in English during my undergraduate study, am I still required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS certificate?
Native English speakers are exempted from the language requirements. Students whose bachelor’s studies are taught in English will need to submit a medium-of-instruction certificate. Other applicants should obtain a minimum score of 80 points or above for New TOEFL, grade 6.0 or above for IELTS, or a certificate from some other approved test of English proficiency.
7. What should I do if I am not able to provide two recommendation letters issued by professors or associate professors from my university?
You could submit one recommendation letter issued by your employer if you graduated a long time ago. However, at least one recommendation letter should be issued by your alma mater.
8. How do I locate the WISE-SOE International Master’s Programs in the online application system?
For International Trade, please choose “School of Economics” in the college list and “Master’s programs in English” in the department list. To find other programs, please choose “Wang Yanan Institute for Studies in Economics” in the college list. Note that you should choose English as the language of instruction.
9. How long is the processing time for an application and how do I find out about the status of my application?
The University will publish the admission outcome on the application system of the Admissions Office about two month after receiving a complete set of documents. Admitted students’ Admission Notice and Visa Application Form will be sent out in batches starting in June. Applicants can log into the online application system to view the result of their application and detailed information regarding the delivery of the admission package.
10. What should I do if I found some serious errors in my submitted application?
Please contact the Xiamen University Admissions Office by email (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org) to return your application for revision.