Duration and Semesters
0.5-1 year for non-degree students, 4 years for undergraduate students, and 1-5 years for graduate students. Duration is different for different majors.
Each academic year is divided into spring semester and autumn semester. Autumn semester often starts in early September and ends in mid-January next year, while spring semester lasts from late February till mid-July. For exact dates, please refer to the academic calendar of Beijing Foreign Studies University (hereinafter referred to as “BFSU”).
(1) Undergraduate Programmes
Duration: 4 years. Students will be awarded diplomas upon successful completion of programme courses and the oral defence of the dissertation. They will be awarded a degree certificate if they fulfil the requirements for bachelor’s degree.
(2) Graduate Programmes
Duration: 1-3 years, depending on the major. Students will be awarded diplomas and master’s degree if they have obtained all credits and completed the dissertation as well as the oral defence.
(3) Postgraduate Programmes
Duration: 3-5 years, depending on the major. Students will be awarded diplomas and doctoral degree if they have obtained all credits, made certain achievements in scientific research, and completed the doctoral thesis as well as the oral defence.
(1) Preparatory Programmes
Duration: 0.5 years. A student can be recommended to a relevant undergraduate major in BFSU if they have good performance at school during the preparatory programmes and have passed the assessment and exams with good grades.
(2) Programmes for Visiting Students
Duration: 0.5-1 year. Extension of study can be applied under specific circumstances. A student will be granted a certificate of completion of BFSU if they have completed courses in Chinese language or the other majors as required and passed exams.
(3) Programmes for Senior Visiting Students
Duration: 0.5-1 year. An extension of study can be applied under certain circumstances. A student will be granted a certificate of completion of BFSU if they have completed courses of Chinese Language or the other majors as required and passed exams.
(4) Programmes for Short-Term Visiting Students (During Winter and Summer Vacations)
Duration: 1-8 weeks. Only a short-term programme in Chinese language is now available. A certificate of completion of BFSU will be issued upon the completion of programme courses.
Note: Please refer to the admission guide for specific majors or programmes for details.
1. Beor be over18 years of age;
2. Non-Chinese citizens should hold a valid ordinary foreign passport;
3. Meet the physical examination requirements for Chinese Visa or Residence Permit applicants;
4. Have no violation of disciplines, no punishment for public security, and no criminal conduct and record. Have friendly feelings towards China and behave well. Comply with Chinese laws and university regulations, and respect Chinese customs and manners;
5. According to Notice on Regulating Higher Education Institutions’ Enrolment of International Students (Ministry of Education, Jiao Wai Lai No. 83, 2009), international undergraduate students who were residents in Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan and have immigrated to a foreign country should abide by the following regulation:
(1) Applicants should hold a valid foreign passport or nationality certificate for 4 years and more, and have a record proving that the applicants have stayed abroad for more than 2 years during the last 4 years (as of 30 April 2019) (staying abroad for over 9 months in a year will be counted as one year and calculation of the duration of stay will be based on the entry and exit stamps).
(2) Former residents of Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan who have returned China for high school education and graduated fall in the category of expatriates settling in China if they have not restored Chinese nationality. If applicants meet the application requirements for colleges and universities in China, they can sign up for the National College Entrance Examination at a location designated by the PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA FOREIGN PERMANENT RESIDENT ID CARD in the Province/Autonomous Region/ Municipality where they live with the ExpatriateResidence Permits issued by the public security bureau of the Province/Autonomous Region/ Municipality.